Sunday, June 19, 2011

Determining the Story

Got the email about "prep" before attending. Doesn't anyone realize we are in the end of the school year and start of the new fiscal year? Take a breath - -this is good for me. I should have time for self and if I am doing my job correctly, I can trust others to carry some of the load and we will get done what needs to be done.
  1.  Watch some already created digital stories from previous workshops. - Not a problem!
  2.  Come with a rough draft of your story, written from the perspective of “I” (remember this is your story from YOUR experience, thus “I” is important! -a life change, an important event, an influential person, a funny anecdote, an angry rant, a first time, a scar, a memory). 
  3. download the "cookbook" and read the first 30 pages. Sounds simple enough.
  4. Begin to think of the story to tell.
  5. Gather your raw items for illustrating your story - you won't have the time in 3 days to do this well and procrastination is a storytellers demise.
So - being proactive, and rather enjoying already the process.
What story should I tell? Family - loss of a parent in the last year?, the path of medical challenges for certain family and their strength in dealing?, the pride of being a mom of two wonderful young women?, my dogs?, my career path?
Too many things that involve deep reflection and personal exposure. While it may be healthy - to do so in a 3 minute story to be published and come to that product with strangers in public - ahhh - not without a therapist in the room. :-)

What else has made an impact on my life and is an "I" story? Bingo! My online communities! Immediately came to mind how reading about a group of educational technology professionals were starting continuing a group that would take a picture a day for 365 days and share. Sounded like a good idea and with January 1 2009 arriving a way to make a resolution. This will be my story - how this simple task has turned into the richness of friendship, support, and journey. You will have to wait until the digital story to see what it is all about.

No comments:

Post a Comment